Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Doing just fine in K-ville!

My girl's doing just fine with her new school routine! So far we haven't been late 2 days in a row. Guess mama needed a routine too! And you know the best part is that I"m at work by 8:15am now - bonus. My co-workers are like, "Hey we know you!" Before I was lucky to get out of the daycare before 9am.

Friday at Meet the Teacher was fun. AJM gave us a tour of the room and then easily tired of being there and wanted to tour the school. I was so gung-ho about being the Room Mom. I've wanted to be a Room Mom all my life! It was my destiny - hee, hee. I'm such a Geek Mom. Anyways, as we waddled around the room talking to parents and her new teachers, Ken noticed 3 other mom's had already signed up to be the Room Mom. OH NO! I took a deep breath and realized that was too much for me. It's hard enough remembering to brush my teeth at night let alone be Room Mom. I'm thinking this task is more for those mom's who are not single!

As I walked around more trying to decide what to do, I stopped at the water fountain (yes in the room) and noticed a sign up sheet with NO ONE signed up...hmmmm. It said Webmaster. Now that's right up my alley. I chatted with the teacher before I signed my name to find out her expectations and oh my yes, this would be my substitute for room mom. I'm so excited and I will get to interact with both teachers in the most convenient way for my busy life - through the web!

I try talking Ken into signing up for the Cooking Volunteer since he's such a good cook, however it required him to contact parents and coordinate snacks for the class. He declined and chose the camera tasks of purchasing and developing disposable cameras for the class. Only dad to sign up. Good dad.

1 comment:

Traci said...

Hey there, I did room mom once. Never again. You're right, it is definitely for stay at home moms. I hate to say, it's also a very political role, which wasn't my cup of tea. The only benefit was the teacher appreciated my efforts, and I think my child benefitted alittle because of it. In my experience, the school volunteering is very "clickish" the stay at homes dominate, and make you feel like a complete outsider. I later found that helping with the extracuricular activities was my niche, the communications is via email, and you show up for the event, do your assigned task, and then you're done. Much better for the busy lifestyle. I help with Ali's band, and am hoping to help with JOrdan's yearbook stuff (if she'll let me!!)